It is not a good idea to let your AC unit run until it breaks down completely before replacing it. Doing so can result in a number of problems that could have been avoided with proper maintenance and replacement.
Should I Let My HVAC System Run Until it Breaks Down Completely?
Homeowners often want to wait until their air conditioner unit dies before replacing it. While the logic may seem correct, there are several reasons that might outweigh the reason to wait until your air conditioning system breaks down. Some of these reasons include the following:
- Heavy workloads make it more likely that the air conditioning unit will fail. The motor can overheat, or the computer boards can fail from cycling on and off repeatedly. Air conditioner failures happen when they are maxed out on 90-degree days. Replacement for failure during these times may not be something that can be done in a couple of hours. The proper size unit for your home may need to be ordered, which can take several days or even weeks. There may even be extra expenses to have expedited delivery and/or temporary cooling equipment installed to ensure safety.
- Scheduling work during high demand can be challenging. Cooling companies are in high demand during extreme temperatures. The company you prefer may not be available for a couple of weeks.
- Product availability. The availability of your new unit may be limited during severe temperature conditions. Some models sell out quicker than the manufacturer can make them. This could cause you to purchase a unit that isn’t within your budget or leave you will fewer options than you would prefer.
- Wasting energy. Many people don’t realize that they are wasting energy during the last couple of years of the unit’s lifespan. When the unit ages, so does its energy efficiency. When your AC unit is nearing the end, its efficiency drastically decreases, usually contributing to the unit’s failure. During the unit’s lifespan, newer models may be developed that may be more efficient than the original unit when it was new. Replacing your AC unit before efficiency is drastically reduced will help you save money in the long run.
- Repair bills adding up. Older units on the brink of failure will oftentimes need multiple service calls that can add up quickly. If any repairs happen to cost half the price or more of the replacement unit, we recommend replacing your AC unit.
Reputable contractors like Lex Air Conditioning and Heating typically know when the right time is for a replacement unit, maximizing life expectancy, and how to help you save money. Installation of a new AC system should be done during moderate weather to ensure your family’s safety along with the safety of your home.
Potential Problems With Your HVAC Unit
While some HVAC problems are a matter of cleaning coils and the air filter, many of the common cooling system issues can develop into much bigger problems if they are not serviced early enough. Most of these problems can be avoided with regular maintenance. Some of the most common HVAC problems include:
- Lack of maintenance
- Dirty air filter or clogged air filter
- Pilot light or ignition problems
- Thermostat malfunctions
- Mechanical wear and tear
- Unusual noises
- Blown fuses or tripped breakers
- Dirty condenser coil or evaporator coil
- The blower motor runs constantly
- Water or a refrigerant leak
Signs It’s Time for Repair
Nobody wants to be stuck in the Texas heat with an air conditioner that isn’t working properly. Your AC system will typically show signs pointing to the need for AC repair, including:
- A sudden increase in energy bills
- Unusual noises
- Unpleasant odors
- Hot air coming from vents
- Frozen evaporator coils
- Moisture pooling around the unit
Signs It’s Time for Replacement
There are some warning signs that your AC unit may need replacement, including:
- Strange noises coming from the unit
- Unpleasant odors coming from the unit
- Moisture pooling around the unit
- Lack of cool air or limited airflow
- Energy bills are becoming more costly
- The system breaks down frequently
- The system no longer cools your home
- The system frequently short cycling
- Malfunctioning thermostat
Why Regular HVAC Maintenance is So Important
Regular maintenance of your HVAC system provides many benefits. Though, there will come a time when you will need a replacement. You will be able to utilize your current system for longer with regular maintenance.
Having a tune-up twice per year is ideal. Your cooling system should be tuned-up in early spring before the hot summer months in Texas. Your heating system should be tuned up around mid to late fall. There are things that you can take care of on your own, like replacing or cleaning your air filters regularly.
Some of the benefits you can expect from regular HVAC maintenance include the following:
- Prevents the need for emergency repairs
- Extends the lifespan of your air conditioning unit
- Lower utility bills
- Better indoor air quality
Call Lex Air Conditioning and Heating today to schedule maintenance for your AC unit with one of our experienced technicians.
Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late – Call Lex Air Conditioning & Heating For Your HVAC Repair and Replacement Needs Today
Don’t wait until your air conditioner fails completely. If and when your AC system stops functioning properly, call our team at Lex Air Conditioning & Heating. Our technicians are readily available to service, repair, or replace your air conditioner. Call us today at (972) 217-8955 to speak with one of our experienced Roanoke HVAC technicians.